Skip to main content

Funny phone call

Funniest thing I've read today (OK, I'm running behind) was this post from the fine folks at the Wren's Nest which includes two pretty interesting phone calls

[that blog post from 2012 is long gone, here's a copy]

Then, I got a weird phone call:

LAIN: Good afternoon, the Wren’s Nest!

GRANDMOTHER: Hi, I’m a grandmother.

LAIN: Okay.

GRANDMOTHER: And I would like you to pay my electric bill.

LAIN: (scrambling for an answer) That’s …not really what we do here.

GRANDMOTHER: (sounding dignified) Yes, but I’m a grandmother.  I’m raising my grandchildren.  I just need some help with my electrical bill.

LAIN:  I’m sorry, but we’re a house museum.  A non-profit house museum, and we’re hurting as well.

GRANDMOTHER:  You don’t understand.  I’m a grandmother.

LAIN: Ma’am?

GRANDMOTHER: (hangs up)

…..

Then, I dialed a wrong number and got this message:

ANSWERING MACHINE: This is about pimpin’!  And that means money!  And if you ain’t got no money, you ain’t got no businesses with this pimp.  So, check your pockets.  Got money?  Get pimpin’.

BEEP.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Yale Shakespeare

I've had this set of Shakespeare volumes since the late 1980's. Super-portable at 7" by 4.5" with nice, readable font size. Well footnoted for vocabulary and extensive note apparatus at the end of each volume. I'm surprised there's not much more on this set than various auctions and used book listings — looks like they still fetch $80 for all 40 books. Mine is a printing from 1954 edited by Tucker Brooke I found this review of the series from when it first came out. Very critical, but wanted to capture it, since this has been my reference edition for over 30 years  

The New Jersey part of the Queen of Hearts passes

This was a really fun group of songwriters that used to frequent the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. I first saw The Queen of Hearts at the late-lamented Swallow In The Hollow in Roswell. If you never got a chance to go, imagine a big rustic mountain cabin with pretty damn good BBQ and live music every night. Everybody in the band wrote songs and they would rotate who would lead and everybody else sang great harmony. BethAnne Clayton was the one from New Jersey and she passed 14 January 2020 at 54. Sounds like the rest of the band were able to gather around her in the hospital for a last round of singing together. I can only imagine the emotion that day. Here's how I found out about it: https://www.ellenbritton.com/blog/2020/2/14/in-memory-of-bethanne-clayton The band got together in 1999 and it doesn't look like much of anything made it into the new world of streaming but the two albums I have are: Queen of Hearts (2002) with stand-out songs "Treat Me Right" and "He...

A James Thurber Christmas

It was the night before Christmas Here's a fun treat. In 1927 James Thurber wrote a hilarious version of "The Night Before Christmas" in the style of Ernest Hemmingway. Here's the beginning: It was the night before Christmas. The house was very quiet. No creatures were stirring in the house. There weren't even any mice stirring. The stockings had been hung carefully by the chimney. The children hoped that Saint Nicholas would come and fill them. The children were in their beds. Their beds were in the room next to ours. Mamma and I were in our beds. Mamma wore a kerchief. I had my cap on. I could hear the children moving. We didn't move. We wanted the children to think we were asleep. Check it out , it's pretty funny